Author Topic: 100% CPU Usage while idle  (Read 4933 times)

alecaspire

100% CPU Usage while idle
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
PDF Explorer: v1.5.66.2

I have a user for whom, PDF Explorer will eventually take up 100% of available CPU resources if left open and idle. After a recent upgrade from a Windows 7 machine to a new Windows 10 machine. UAC on level 2, and a using a local admin account.

For reference. I have 4 other users of PDFE on Windows 10, and another dozen on Windows 7, none of which have this issue. The application version, setup, and configuration, are identical on all machines.

The first time this issue was observed, PDFE had no open windows, but still had a process running. visible inside Task Manager. I can't confirm if this is still the case as the user has taken to killing the process in the Task Manager once done using it, since verifying that it's a repeat issue. I have seen the application exhibit the same run-away CPU utilization when the application window was left open on a secondary monitor, but not in use.

I've tried running the application in Compatibility Mode and as Administrator. Compatibility mode show no change, and running as Admin restricts access to shared network folders necessary to use the application in their environment, so we can't use this as a viable work around. We Also reindexed the user's database inside PDFE, no change.

Let me know if there's any more information I can provide/ dig up to aid in troubleshooting this issue.

RTT

• Administrator
Re: 100% CPU Usage while idle
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:21:48 AM »
It is a trial, or licensed version?

Does the same happen if the program doesn't start with, or make use of, the DiskTree scan mode? I.e. run the program, change to a DB scan mode (e.g. DBSearch), and close it (this ensures the next time the program will start with this last used scan mode).
Run it again. With this test you can use any of the DB scan modes, but not the DiskTree one. Does the CPU utilization while idle issue continues to occur?

Check if the check for updates at startup option, menu Help>CheckForUpdates>AutoCheckAtStartup, is selected. If yes, test starting with it disabled.

Check if there are any folder monitor active, menu Database>IndexerSettings|FolderMonitors. If yes, test with all disabled.

Check if there is any task automation folder active, menu Extra>TaskAutomation>TaskAutomationFolders. If yes, test with all disabled.

Using the Process Explorer tool, and when PDFE is in that idle, with 100% CPU situation, copy and dump here in a forum reply the call stack of the thread with more CPU utilization (How can I view the call stack of a running process/thread?).
A screenshot of the process properties dialog, threads tab, may be helpful too.

and running as Admin restricts access to shared network folders necessary to use the application in their environment, so we can't use this as a viable work around.
Running as Admin fixes the issue? If yes, check if the situation occur (running with the standard user) just after scanning these shared network folders, that when running as admin are inaccessible. I.e. close the program with a local folder selected, start it again, don't scan any of these shared network folders and leave it idle.

alecaspire

Re: 100% CPU Usage while idle
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:15:30 PM »
It is a licensed version as are all the instances of PDFE across the company.

I will try your suggestions and reply when I have results!

In regards to running as Admin, I don't know if it helps with the issue or not as it was found to stop the users workflow immediately.