Author Topic: Split/Extract pages toool suggestion  (Read 6547 times)

sorento

Split/Extract pages toool suggestion
« on: May 11, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »
Hi,

I have few ideas relating to tool “Split/Extract  pages”
(I’m using PDF Explorer 1.5.0.58 + Patch 4)

1.   Child pdf’s (splitted or extracted pages) should take over all metadata from parent pdf file, in current version are new files without any metadata even it the original file has metadata
2.   It would be useful to have option how new name should look like.
This option could be e.g. in  Edit/Preferencies. You can use the same format as in batch  tools / edit info fields ( [F] same text [number])
In current version PDFE is adding pages number after the file name but I need sometimes new name like: [F] Part X where F is old file name and x is sequential number.
3.   In split extract rules you could add option for splitting after size of new files
E.g. rule “s5000” will split old document to new files so that each new file size is less or equal to 5000 kilobytes no matter how many pages it is (kilobytes seems to be the best size unit for that but it also could be e.g. “s5m” where “m” will set megabytes etc
(Task e.g.: how to split 150 Megabytes big pdf file with 900 pages each page has different size, from 1 kB to 1 MB, to 10 new files each size less that 15 MB)

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Split/Extract pages toool suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »
1. Done.
2. Suggested by someone else, and already implemented.
3. Implementation finished right now ;). In current implementation, page resources size is unknown before page split process, so file may end up with more bytes than the specified as it only create a new file if current output file size is equal, or larger, than required size. I'm going to see if using already processed page resources size statistics may reduce this effect.

Check attached images for current GUI implementation.

I'm finishing some other issues, but in a day or two I will provide the new Build 59, Beta 2,  to some users who help me beta testing new versions. If you are interested, I can provide it to you too, so you can test this features, and some other good ones you suggested on another occasions.

sorento

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »
Yes, I would like to test it, you probably have my email address, if not let me know.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:30:46 AM »
Great! I emailed the link to the new PDFE Build 59, beta 2, to the email address you have registered on the forum. Let me know if message don't arrive. Nowadays, almost all messages with a download link are spam flagged :-\

If you have some time, and mood for testing, give it a try, and please report any glitch you may find.
And if you need help to understand some of the new features, you just need to ask ;).