Author Topic: Possible Hang-up while using Expression Composer  (Read 5146 times)

Padanges

Possible Hang-up while using Expression Composer
« on: August 16, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »
Hi,
while debugging custom scripts and using regular expressions i was able get into a situation where the program stopped responding. Expression Composer hang up and I was unable to access any scripts for further DB processing! I guess it tried to evaluate previously saved expression and to show some results but there was something wrong with the query and it got stuck in a loop. 
Unfortunately, i had to reinstall the software and I am unable to share the faulty query.
Could you make a separate button for expression activation or at least create an exception where if 'ESC' is pressed it stops evaluations?

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Possible Hang-up while using Expression Composer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:43 AM »
Yes, I already noticed too this need to have some way to manually pause the expression composer from refreshing the results, so the user can easily type these more slow expressions, that use scripts, and just enable the refresh when done. And a timeout mechanism for freezed scripts will be also handy.
Thanks for pointing out the issue.

Padanges

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:56:22 AM »
Actually it's enough to leave any kind of infinite loop and the composer (and the software itself) gets stuck.

Padanges

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »
While running the Batch Info Edit tool first gets you the Options window which lets to change the script eval expression before evaluating the possible results list, the Batch Rename tool always gets straight into evaluations which mean that if you made a mistake (for example, infinite loop) or have some heavy calculations set (for example, hash check with some additional operations) you are forced either to wait before making any changes to the expression either you have to reinstall the software because there's no way to break these calculations!
Could you please make these calculations in the background, time delayed, and re-updated as expressions get typed, without considerable workload? Or at least, to get that DiskTree tool "refresh icon" - which means that you have to press it in order to start the operations? No auto-start, please.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »
I'm working on it. The idea is to make it a background task and with buffered output. And to also have a button to pause the refresh of the list.
And there is no need to reinstall the software to circumvent this issue. Just use the Windows registry editor and delete the LastUsed value from the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\PDFExplorer\PDFTools\FileRenamer