Author Topic: File type support extension  (Read 6830 times)

Padanges

File type support extension
« on: August 11, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
Hi,
Is there any way to include *.djvu and/or *.epub file types to PDF Explorer?

Thanks in advance

RTT

• Administrator
Re: File type support extension
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »
No.

Padanges

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
Any plans on including support for these formats? Or is it against the philosophy of PDFe?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »
I have no intention to develop it myself. if eventually I develop a plugin architecture to access other file types, other users may develop it. But this will take time and for sure it is not a priority right now.

Padanges

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 10:54:35 AM »
DJVU format has a fully functional (bookmarks, text search, etc.) lister plugin for Total Commander at: http://totalcmd.net/plugring/slister.html . The viewer is based on SumatraPDF, which seems you're familiar with. Would that help in any way to ease-up the functionality realization?
I am really interested in being able to include the rest of my DB (djvu) files to the PDFe db with the extension for djvu support :)

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:32:15 AM »
If you check under the menu Edit>Preferences, "Internal PDF Reader" tab, you will see there's a link to that TC lister plugin as example of the plugin's supported, to be used as the internal PDF reader, by that "Lister (WLX) Plugin" option, so yes I'm aware of it.
Using it as a viewer is the easy part. Extending all the other PDFE functionality, that is tightly connected to the PDF format, to other file types is the hard one. Sorry but that's not something I will add to the upcoming releases.

Padanges

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
Using it as a viewer is the easy part. Extending all the other PDFE functionality, that is tightly connected to the PDF format, to other file types is the hard one.

So, maybe you would consider an option to enable viewing of *.djvu & *.epub file types within ScanGrid list? It could be read-only mode with no metadata support where the only information available would be the file entry itself with its FilePath, FileName, FileSize, FileDate etc., where all the XMP metadata fields would be disbaled. You could place this option under Edit>Preferences>General as "Enable listing for (no metadata support)": DJVU, EPUB; and include "Set Grid double click application" tabs for: DJVU, EPUB. Sumatra can open EPUBs, while sLister (WLX) can open DJV(U)s.
Even without the support for PDF (XMP) format this optional feature would enable us to include the rest of our personal library files, motivate to further experiment with custom scripts, and stimulate for new PDFe feature ideas/suggestions. And it could also motive others (for example, perhaps, me) to participate in development of proper extension to all the PDFe functionalities ;) .
This could be the Bomb ;D

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 02:48:38 AM »
I've made a quick test and it will be relatively easy to enable the handling of other file types that way, i.e. discarding for these other types the not yet available PDFE functionality. It's even possible to edit the metadata in the DB, and so using all the metadata linked functionality. The extraction/storage of the metadata from/in the files itself could be later provided by a plugin mechanism, as well some other functionalities such as text and images extraction.
I'm currently indexing all the file types supported by the Sumatra PDF reader, and using its Firefox NPAPI plugin to view them in PDFE. ;)
There are many thing that needs to be checked, and some ones will be tricky to fix, but I'm liking the idea. The user will be able to define what other file types to index from the preferences dialog, and will be, at least for now, referenced in all the places that make reference to file types as a global group of "others", i.e. there are PDFs, CHMs and Others :)

Padanges

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »
The user will be able to define what other file types to index from the preferences dialog

That's great news! Looking forward to checking this option out :)

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 01:53:41 AM »
Take a look  ;)

Padanges

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 05:54:01 AM »
Looks great!  ;D

Padanges

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:23 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but here you can write any extension tag? That is, you can include any formats?
I find it relevant to include *.txt file support too!

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 01:19:20 AM »
Yes. Add any extension(s), rescan the folder(s) and the new files are indexed in the PDFE DB. Remove the extension(s), rescan the folder(s) and the files with file extensions not in that list get removed from the PDFE DB.