Author Topic: Different language char file name editing/representation  (Read 5313 times)

Padanges

Different language char file name editing/representation
« on: October 10, 2016, 05:59:49 AM »
Hi,
PDFe has issues with different language input symbols:
1) if you're entering, for example, Lithuanian symbols, in the Layout Grid "Renaming mode" - it does not accept them and automatically transliterates (entering "kačerginė.pdf" becomes "kacergine.pdf"), but displays them correctly in the Filename column; creating a "Dynamically Calculated Column" with a basic "Eval Expression" "F" reveals this.
2) if you're entering, for example, Russian symbols (test case: "русский язык.pdf") - you get "Error renaming file or folder", but the Filename column display is correct; creating a "Dynamically Calculated Column" with a basic "Eval Expression" "F" reveals queston marks instead of Cyrillic symbols. Setting Preferences.../Appearance options for Grid Font Charset to RUSSIAN_CHARSET does not help at all.
Tests were run on WinXP using standard "Regional and Language Options". Does that happen on other WinOS editions too? Is there a way to fix this (for both cases)? The initial issue was found while trying to create a Dynamic Calc Colum which used default Filename column info field.

Regards

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Different language char file name editing/representation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:25:39 PM »
PDFE in not a full Unicode program, so it will only input text correctly in the same language code page set in Windows for non-Unicode programs (that's why it can still run in Win9x :) ). It is able to display Unicode text, can only input in the configured ANSI code page. What language you have configured in Windows for non-Unicode programs?

Some days ago I also noticed these text encoding problems with the grid layout eval expressions, and I think I have these fixed now.

Padanges

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »
I've tested out your suggestions - changing language configured in Windows for non-Unicode programs has not effect - it seams that dynamic Eval Expression with [F] symply mis-translates File name and is not able to display the same chars as you can see in the Grid Layout Filename column. It's a sad thing - my dynamic Transliteration scripts fail to work as expected.

I think I have these fixed now.
Could you share what exactly has been update in this regard?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
As I said, the text encoding problems with the grid dynamically calculated columns eval expressions is related to a bug, so you can't do nothing to fix it with your current PDFE version.

The language configured in Windows for non-Unicode programs is only about what language PDFE is able to input, i.e. what languages can you type on edit boxes. This setting also affects the UI controls text. I.e. if you have the PDFE interface language set for Russian you also need to have Russian, or a language that uses the same characters codepage, as the Windows language for non-Unicode programs, or the PDFE UI text will show garbled.

Padanges

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »
Yes, I've checked it - the input characters depend on regional keyboard settings, and the display settings - from non-Unicode charset selection.
Perhaps there was only a problem with dynamic Eval Expression [F] display.