Author Topic: Product question -- modying files so tags are visible in MS Windows Explorer  (Read 5577 times)

boyojim

Excuse my ignorance.  I am someone looking for a solution to the problem of pdf file tags not being visible in Windows Explorer 9. 

It's clear that I can use one or more of these products to create tags that are visible to other people who use this product.  What I'm hoping is that you have a tool to modify the files in some way to make to tags visible to others who DON't have the product, who only have Windows Explorer.  I create files of Purchase orders, and the file names are the purchase order numbers.  I would like to tag them with the vendor name as well, but doing so within Acrobat Pro creates tags that aren't visible in Explorer.

So if I can find a product that makes these tags visible in standard Explorer, I can justify buying it.  But there's no way I can get approval to have hundreds of of my fellow employees buy it just in order to read a tag I add to the file. 

RTT

• Administrator
The problem is that Windows Explorer knows nothing about the PDF format, so it can't access, by itself, the PDF tags. And this happen for many other file formats, not supported natively by the Windows Shell. The Shell needs a PDF property handler, or IFilter (that also exposes tags), extension in order to show, search and edit PDF metadata tags.
The PDF-ShellTools is able to provide this functionality, with its PDF property handler.
But yes, all your employees PCs will need to have it installed. There is just no other way to do it. But you have site and enterprise type licenses, that can be installed in all the PCs of the licensed site or company. You don't need to buy an individual personal license for each of your employees.

boyojim

I appreciate the prompt response.  The issue I am facing isn't so much cost as it is making a call to do a system-wide purchase and installation of a new product.  Our IT people will have to evaluate it, committees will have to meet to decide whether its functionality is good enough to dedicate staff and resources to install it on possibly hundreds of terminals, develop training for it, etc.  I'm not in a position to make a call like that, which is why I hoped there was a single tool that I could buy that could make a difference to many people.