Author Topic: PDFE 1.5.0.58 "Set Open Options" tool fails under Vista 64  (Read 11397 times)

adele

Testing PDFE Trial 1.5.0.58 running on Vista Home Premium 6.0.6001 SP1, 64-bit.
Running the tool, "Set Open Options" on PDF files to change Page Layout and Magnification to Default.
Tool fails and hangs the PDFE application ("Not Responding") on some, but not all, PDF files.
This behavior appears to be random, because I can find no consistent or unusual feature among those PDFs the tool fails on, and I cannot find any special clues from watching the execution of PDFE using SysInternals' Process Monitor.
Any way you could configure PDFE to skip and log files it finds problematic, rather than simply hang?

RTT

• Administrator
Re: PDFE 1.5.0.58 "Set Open Options" tool fails under Vista 64
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
When you say "random" do you mean the tool don't always hang with same files? One time run correctly on a particular file, and next time fail with that same file?
If yes, it's not an usual situation, but it's possible if cumulative errors bug is involved and you are running the tool on more than one file at a time, so try to identify the sequence of PDF's that produce that problem.
If no, and you are able to clearly identify a PDF file that always make the tool fail, please email it to me so I can check for what's wrong.

Program is not hanging on purpose, it's just bad code (bug) that's producing that behavior, most probably because of some specificity of the PDF files your are testing on, but I need to debug with these files to be able to fix it.
And yes, hanging all program because of a tool incompatibility with a particular file is wrong, and you can be sure current code try to prevent it, but definitively something is not working, how it's supposed to work, with your files, so I really need your help on this.

adele

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »
PDFE repeatedly fails on the same PDFs. I'm attaching one example here. If no bug is made apparent by inspecting this file, can't you just code in some "if error, skip file and proceed" routine, so the application can skip and problem files and work the others selected without simply failing outright?  Many thanks.

adele

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:10:07 AM »
You requested examples, so I'm sending another via this separate post. (NOTE: This forum constrains the size of allowed attachments to 200 KB, which limits the example PDFs, usually much larger, I can post to you.)

adele

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:13:56 AM »
Forgot to mention that the problem is still showing up after today's Microsoft update for Vista x64 to Service Pack 2.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:11:33 AM »
Thanks for the samples ;) Tested them on new build 59, development stage, version, and the SetOpenOptions tool runs fine on these files but I've checked also with the version your are using and indeed the tool crash.
Definitively not an issue with Vista 64, crashed on Vista 32 and XP, but it is not a problem anymore.  One of the many bug fixes the new code contain fixed the problem.

My other tool PDF-ShellTools, newest version, also runs fine. Not 64-bit compatible, so if you wanna try on your Vista 64 you must invoke it from the 32-bit Windows Explorer.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/211637-explorer32-shortcut-vista-64-bit.html

adele reply

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »
Glad the files I sent helped you fix a bug in PDFE. The Shelltools version does work as you say, on all formerly problematic files (launched from Explorer32; shortcut configured according to your reference).  My only problem now is that I see I cannot afford the cost of Shelltools.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »
As I told before, the bug was already fixed in newest code. You confirmed it running PDF-ShellTools official release, newest than PDF Explorer, on your local files. PDF-ShellTools share related code with PDFE.
Even so, I thank you for the time you have spent trying to figure out what was the possible cause, and to report it to me.

Regarding your impossibility to afford the PDF-ShellTools cost. What can I say? From my developer perspective, it is cheap :)
If English language is not a problem for you, and you have some free time, maybe you can give me a hand revising the PDF Explorer, or PDF-ShellTools, user's guide,  and fix my poor English. All participants receive a free license. Drop me a PM if you are interested.