Author Topic: A Hotkey request  (Read 6031 times)

Padanges

A Hotkey request
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
Hi,
could you please add a hotkey (I'd vote for F10) for "quick" Custom Field creation (at the end of columns) where you get a prompt just to type (without XMP options and list of current fields) the Label (with the default label "Column #", where # is the total number of columns+1) and press OK (ESC for quick Cancel), for the new PDFe release? That would enrich interactivity and the workflow.

Regards

RTT

• Administrator
Re: A Hotkey request
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
The idea here is to add a new custom field, with the default settings except for the label, to the list of custom fields and to the active grid layout at the same time?

Padanges

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »
The idea here is to add a new custom field, with the default settings except for the label, to the list of custom fields and to the active grid layout at the same time?
Yes. You hit the hotkey and get a prompt for creating a new Custom Column (with selected edit text field string "Label #").

Padanges

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 12:59:15 PM »
Perhaps, it is possible to create a custom db field using a script? Could you share a proper syntax sample (do we need to specify all XMP properties, etc.)? I guess that way it is possible to assign a hotkey to a script and accomplish the column creation.

Padanges

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 11:24:39 AM »
By the way, assigning for example F7 to a "My Scripts" tool shortcut key for a specific script works only if "show icon in the toolbar" is checked :( you can set same shortcuts for couple of scripts but it will trigger only the last one which was made visible as an icon! It would be interesting to fire-up couple scripts at once but how would they share one batch i/o log?

P.S. Why not calling "My Scripts" tool a "Script Tools" (since it actually works like the PDFe Tools, e.g. "Find Duplicates...") - we already have "My Scripts" tag which denotes scripts which are not in "Library" and not "Samples" (in "Scripts Editor") and once you start working with "My Scripts" for "Edit Info Fields" batch tool, it seems that "My Scripts" tool is probably the same thing. IMHO, it takes more time (and confussion) to learn PDFe features when there are duplicate names/tags/titles.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 01:14:47 AM »
Perhaps, it is possible to create a custom db field using a script? Could you share a proper syntax sample (do we need to specify all XMP properties, etc.)? I guess that way it is possible to assign a hotkey to a script and accomplish the column creation.
No. Only the functionality described in the scripts API is available.
Adding such possibility is a bit dangerous, if the script behaves wrongly.

By the way, assigning for example F7 to a "My Scripts" tool shortcut key for a specific script works only if "show icon in the toolbar" is checked :(
And/or "show in the tools menu" too. Anyway, I suppose it may be useful, so I've now extended the registration of a hotkey to all the scripts with a keyboard shortcut defined.

you can set same shortcuts for couple of scripts but it will trigger only the last one which was made visible as an icon! It would be interesting to fire-up couple scripts at once but how would they share one batch i/o log?
Not possible. Only one batch tool can run at a time.
But you can always join all these scripts functionality in a master script.

Why not calling "My Scripts" tool a "Script Tools" (since it actually works like the PDFe Tools, e.g. "Find Duplicates...") - we already have "My Scripts" tag which denotes scripts which are not in "Library" and not "Samples" (in "Scripts Editor") and once you start working with "My Scripts" for "Edit Info Fields" batch tool, it seems that "My Scripts" tool is probably the same thing. IMHO, it takes more time (and confussion) to learn PDFe features when there are duplicate names/tags/titles.
Sounds logical. Easy to fix. ;)

Padanges

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
you can set same shortcuts for couple of scripts
Some clarification: I was referring to the fact that you can give same hotkeys for different scripts (usually such thing is forbidden) and gave an example that it could mess up with batch i/o log sharing. My English :)

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »
There is no risk to have multiple scripts running at the same time, but I suppose a "hotkey already assigned to..." warning message could be handy...