Author Topic: PDF thumbnails are displayed duplicate  (Read 10133 times)

dB

PDF thumbnails are displayed duplicate
« on: November 20, 2015, 03:44:23 PM »
Hello,

Web Interface problem:

Some PDF thumbnails are displayed duplicate, that is to say that two different .PDF displays the same cover.
Even a refresh of the page does not change...

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks

RTT

• Administrator
Re: PDF thumbnails are displayed duplicate
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »
What's the full path file name of two of these PDFs with same thumbnail?
The problem is showing in the advanced web interface client, or in the standard one?
If advanced client, try deleting the thumbnails cache, at the c:\MySite\wwwroot\images\thumbs directory.
If you have not installed the advanced client, and have not defined a cache folder (thumbnails configuration panel option), clear your Windows temp folder (type %temp% at the Windows Explorer address bar, to open it)

dB

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for the fast answer...
I'll be back after these verifications...

dB.

Daniel Boutet

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
Hello,
Sorry for the delay...

I use advanced client, and I deleted the thumbs directory...
No change... except that the duplicate thumbnails have changed... it seems that duplication run randomly for one, two or three .PDF (116 .PDF in total) ...

dB.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 05:42:33 PM »
Are the duplicates also present in the thumbnails cache folder (to understand if the problem is in the thumbnail creation, or when sending to the client browser)? If yes, as temporary workaround, you may delete only these duplicate thumb images, to force the program to create new ones.

What client browser are you using (so I can test from the same request profile)?

Please let me know the full path file name of two of these files showing duplicates.

I've made some tests and no duplicates yet. This random behavior bugs aren't easy :-\

dB

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:27:17 AM »
Yes the dupliactes are present in the thumbnail cache folder :
In the image below, you can see the duplicates (1st & 6th thumb) with différent file name...

• If I delete the duplicates to force the program to rebuild it, thats works...
  • I use Opera browser, but same behavior with chrome or firefox...
  • Same path for duplicates thumb...
  • If I delete all the thumbs, some duplicates reappear (not the same) on the rebuild of them

I understand that is difficult to understand ...
Thanks for help...

dB.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
So the code is indeed creating a same thumbnail for two, or more, different PDFs! I've checked the code and I can't figure out how this may be happening.

Regarding the file names. I really appreciate if you can post here the full path file names, in text. Trying to figure out these path/names from the screenshot is impossible. Using the Windows Explorer, just right click select the PDF, while holding down the SHIFT key, and click the "copy as path" menu item. And this for two of these PDFs that result in duplicates.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 04:52:56 AM »
Totally guessing, but let's try this. Replace the thumbgen.cmd file, you will find in the C:\MySite\utils directory, with the one in the attached .zip archive. Before testing, clear all the files from the thumbnails cache folder (C:\MySite\wwwroot\images\thumbs) to force the program to generate all the thumbnails again.

dB

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 12:52:27 AM »
Thanks a lot!
I'll be back after the test...

dB.

dB

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 01:06:42 AM »
Hello,

IT works... no more duplicates.. only two pdf with pdf icon instead of thumbnails...
Thanks alot for the great works!!

dB.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 02:03:59 AM »
That's great! Thanks for the confirmation.
The problem was then a poor temporary file name generation that in some situations (specially if run on a faster PC) was creating the same name for different processes.
I've now updated the advanced client installer with this change.

Regarding these PDFs showing the generic PDF icon thumbnail image. If clicking the preview icon also results in that generic image, try renaming the file removing characters such as the Ampersand (&), or characters that are outside the Windows codepage for non-Unicode programs.

dB

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:31:11 AM »
Hello,

Thanks again for your great help and ... of course .. for this great software...
All works perfectly now... :)

dB.