PDF-ShellTools > Bug reports

Windows Explorer crash always in the same directory

<< < (2/3) > >>

itsupport@aviom:
I'm running a trial version of PDF-ShellTools v1.0.0.13 + Patch 1 on Windows 7 and running into a similar issue with Windows Explorer crashing when I edit the metatag "Title" field on some PDFs. I can easily repeat the problem on two different 64-bit Windows 7 installations, but not on a 32-bit one.  I've attached the Windows Event Viewer info for the crash.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on this. Let me know if you require any more info to help you troubleshoot.

RTT:
If you can, please send me one of these PDFs that make it crash.

itsupport@aviom:
Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry I took so long to get back to you. The holidays got in the way. :)

Here are two files I'm able to reproduce this error with. One of our engineers tells me she runs into this problem in various directories, but not all. We have thousands of these files on our network (that have Titles) so it could be an issue with how specific files were created or something like that.

This morning I copied these two files from our network to the laptop's local disk - the error came up again, so I think we can rule out any network/server (Windows 2003 file server) issues.

To produce the error I have Windows Explorer open and the Title field displayed as the right-most column (the only additional column other than the standard Name, Date, Type, and Size columns). I right-click each file, go to the InfoEdit tab and add my initials to the end of the text, then click OK to save the change and close the dialog. A few iterations selecting each file and editing the Title, and Windows Explorer crashes.

Thanks again!
Tom

RTT:
Thanks for the sample files.
The problem also occurs here, and I think (fixed code is compatible with the experienced aleatory crashes) I have it now fixed. Fix will be included in this week scheduled patch release.

itsupport@aviom:
Fantastic! Thank you for resolving this so quickly! Once I check out the updated version we'll be purchasing a site license.

A question for RTT or anyone out here - does anyone know of a script or utility to copy Windows Document Properties Titles (or other field info) over to their equivalent metatag fields? Of the thousands of files on our network there are many that only have a Title in the Windows Document Properties field. To move forward with Windows 7 we need to update the files to contain the same info in the metatag field.

If the answer is "no", it looks like I'll need to write some vbscript to do this.

Thanks,
Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version