Author Topic: Split/extract tool overwrite error  (Read 7208 times)

sorento

Split/extract tool overwrite error
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:09:30 AM »
Testing 1.5.059 Beta2

1.   When using split/extract tool e.g. I want extract page 5-15 from 60 pages document, and I do not enter any name for new document,PDFE will use original name and text "-0000" at the end of the original name.
Until now it is all ok but if I want extract from the same document in the same folder e.g. pages 20-30 and again do not enter any name for the new document PDFE will overwrite previously extracted document without any warning with new content. It uses the same name format (old name + "-0000")

2.   Also if I would enter name for new document and the name is already used, PDFE will overwrite the existing file without warning with new content.

There should be some kind of check if the file with the used name already exist and if yes classic message should appear (overwrite or rename or cancel)

3.   When using Split\Extract and splitting file after size, if I do not enter the new name it works ok but if I enter new name in format:
   [F] Part [GI] iteration seems not working. PDFE will create file "old name + Part + 1" but it will not create file with higher number.
   PDFE will insert each group of pages to the same file and at the end there is only one file extracted with last group of pages -  all previous groups are overwritten.

This problem is connected with the previous one, as it can be the same control that will prevent overwriting of files. Also no increase in iteration looks very similar.

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Split/extract tool overwrite error
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:20:45 AM »
1,2 - Yes, you are right, and this problem is back from previous versions. I really need to add that confirmation dialog.

3- [GI] is related to the split rule group index. If you only define one group, that number is always 1.

One group: 1,2-5
Two groups : 1,2,7-; 3-6

sorento

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »
To the point 3:
Then I probably do not understand the [GI] rule. I was expecting some sort of iteration or counter beginning from 1 and automatically continuing until the last part.

When I want split PDF file after size I do not know how many groups PDFE will create, what should I enter in field name when the splitting rule is s1m and PDF size is e.g. 15.4 MB?
I want the results file be named as: [F] Part 1, [F] Part 2 until the last part but because the page size is variable original file could be splitted to 14 or 15 or 16 parts.

You could add switch [xCy] where C is counter, x is starting number and y is step. With default x=1 and y=1.
When I use previous example then in field name I have to enter:
[F] Part [1C1] or [F] Part [C].
This in combination with rule s1m will split original file to parts approximately 1 MB big and name each part as required.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:11:22 AM »

The [GI] rule is specific to the split group index. We have different groups when individual rules are separated by a semi-column character ";"

No rule exist to reference the files created counter, and your idea of a customizable (start and step) one is really needed, as your example demonstrate, Let's see if I find time to include it in this new release ;)