Author Topic: Fill tags from filename  (Read 5294 times)

Eva Brunnhuber

Fill tags from filename
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »
Is it possible to split the filename for filling different fields?
(file name is: Autor - Seriennr. - Titel ---> these should be so: Autor to Autor, Seriennr. to Keyword and Titel to Titel)
Also would be good to do the same reversed (from several tags combine the new filename)

An other problem i have with the special german letters (ö, ä, ü etc.) In the Filename-field appears it right, but by importing into a field (i.e. to titel) they are wrong.

Thanks for your answer
Eva

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Fill tags from filename
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »
Is it possible to split the filename for filling different fields?
(file name is: Autor - Seriennr. - Titel ---> these should be so: Autor to Autor, Seriennr. to Keyword and Titel to Titel)
Directly from PDFE no, but you can use the Export/Import technique to achieve it.  Just export the PDFE grid contents to a .csv file, use the power of MS Excel, or other .csv editor, to compose the metadata tags from the filename, and later import again the .csv file into PDFE. The import operation will update the database and also the PDF files metadata.

Even so, I'm thinking to introduce scripting functionality to the EditInfoFields batch tool in a next version. That functionality will enable users to shape metadata the way they want.

Or you can use my other tool, PDF-ShellTools, command line interface, functions ExportMetadata and SetMetadata
http://rttsoftware.googlepages.com/STIndex.htm?pageURL=InfoTip.htm#cmdline
http://rttsoftware.googlepages.com/STIndex.htm?pageURL=InfoEdit.htm#cmdline
With these function, and a script developed for that case in particular, you can easily achieve that goal, but it's a technique for advanced users.

Also would be good to do the same reversed (from several tags combine the new filename)
That one is already possible. Check the first of the batch tools, named "Batch Rename".

An other problem i have with the special german letters (ö, ä, ü etc.) In the Filename-field appears it right, but by importing into a field (i.e. to titel) they are wrong
Yes, it's a known problem. Already corrected and fix will go out with next release. Meanwhile, you can manually fix these errors using the InfoEdit tool.