Author Topic: PDF Open with... behaviour  (Read 7179 times)

Thisis

PDF Open with... behaviour
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »
Some small but powerful suggestions:
I tried to put PDF explorer as the default application to open pdfs. That means that I open the file on PDF Explorer when I double-click on the PDF file. As I have the preview window expanded, I can see the contents of the file when I open it and I can also edit the database. It shows only the current file on the grid.
What I would like to see is the full directory of the clicked pdf.

But now there are two things I thing we all can profit it they were implemented. The first one is an option on the program to choose a default program to open the files when doube-clicking inside the grid, different from the one windows has as a default. This way, I can have a full window view (maybe on adobe reader or foxit) when doublecliking. I will use then PDF Explorer as a first organisisig and preview program and later maybe reader to full screen work with the chosen file. Maybe this way it would be more useful for me, and I'm sure many other people.
It would be nice too to have the option open PDF in the contextual right click menu, in the same way you have implemented the the option "open the contextual menu", is easy to put another one "Open PDF" on top of the mentioned option.

The other one is to have the possibility of practising a search, not only on "indexed fields", but also chosing in which of those fields we want to search the words.

Finally, I think the program is a gap to fill in what we may use to work with pdfs, but the gui has to improve far enough, visual and functionally.
Maybe more customisation of the bar, right click on header titles of the grid to turn on/off fields to view and its order, and so on...

I read in one post about the dbpath=YourCustomDatabaseFolder, but what about having an option similar in the configuration menu to chose the default db directory for most purposes...?

RTT

• Administrator
Re: PDF Open with... behaviour
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »
It shows only the current file on the grid.
What I would like to see is the full directory of the clicked pdf.
OK, I have now changed the behavior to:
- If only one file submitted by command line, (when file is double clicked on Shell and PDFE assigned to PDF's, Open Width or Send To Shell context menu options, any script file, etc..), PDFE will charge all PDF's of that file source folder and select that file grid row, eventually showing it if preview panel open.
- If more than one file submitted, (Send To Shell context menu option, script file, etc.) PDFE will put on grid only these files and select the first of the submitted list.
- Maintain current behavior on dropped file(s)

The first one is an option on the program to choose a default program to open the files when doube-clicking inside the grid, different from the one windows has as a default. This way, I can have a full window view (maybe on adobe reader or foxit) when doublecliking. I will use then PDF Explorer as a first organisisig and preview program and later maybe reader to full screen work with the chosen file.
I suppose can be handy. Even so you don't need to assign PDFE as the default Shell application to open PDF's, maintaining a reader, Foxit, Acrobat, etc., as default and open the file with PDFE using the Shell context menu "Open With" or "Sent To" functionalities. This way you can continue to double click to open your PDFs on a reader.

It would be nice too to have the option open PDF in the contextual right click menu, in the same way you have implemented the the option "open the contextual menu", is easy to put another one "Open PDF" on top of the mentioned option.
Why, if you can already double click it to get the same? And you can always invoke the Shell Context menu, from the PDFE grid context menu itself,  as you pointed out, and use its "Open With" option.

The other one is to have the possibility of practising a search, not only on "indexed fields", but also chosing in which of those fields we want to search the words.
That's an old TODO list entry, but I need to make extensive changes in the current database code to make it viable. I will try to introduced that functionality on next major version release.
Meanwhile  you can use the search/filter tool to refine your results.

Finally, I think the program is a gap to fill in what we may use to work with pdfs, but the gui has to improve far enough, visual and functionally.
Maybe more customisation of the bar, right click on header titles of the grid to turn on/off fields to view and its order, and so on...
I agree some aspects of the GUI can be enhanced, but the way the columns interaction is handled obey to a different philosophy. With PDFE we use grid layouts where we can define what columns to show, and its order. We only need to define a couple of custom grid layouts, right clicking the layout selector, Create new.. option, or from Edit>Grid Layout>CreateNew, and then select the must useful to the task we want to perform.

Some images of next version grid layout editor, with extended functionalities. This images are from another forum thread, so discard specificities shown.

I read in one post about the dbpath=YourCustomDatabaseFolder, but what about having an option similar in the configuration menu to chose the default db directory for most purposes...?
Currently you can edit that default path in PDFE Windows registry entries. Take a look to this key using Windows regedit tool.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PDFExplorer\Options, "DatabaseFolder" option.