Author Topic: Run pdfexplorer on server  (Read 6729 times)

dp

Run pdfexplorer on server
« on: October 24, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
Hello,

we want to use pdfexplorer for creating an e-archiv in our office. everybody should access to the database by webserver. the problem is, that i am not able to acces on the server. but I have to index new pdfs, to access on these by webserver. my question is:

is possible to run one license on the databse, to enable everybody in our LAN to access  on the datbase by webserver, and to run another license on my desktop, to update the database rather to index new pdfs?
is it possible to run two license, which share on database rather to indexbase?

thanks for hopefully resolving sugestions,

dp

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Run pdfexplorer on server
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
No, PDF Explorer manage itself the database files, there are not an independent database server to where more than one PDF Explorer instance can connect.
You can however:
Put all the PDFs in the server PC, acting as a data server, and run PDFE, with web server enabled, from your desktop. You can index and edit all the PDFs, and all the LAN clients can access your desktop PC running PDFE Web Server.
or
Run PDF Explorer in the server PC, and access to it with remote desktop from your Desktop PC, to make the necessaries updates.

dp

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »
Okay, I got it. So, if I run PDFE on desktop and create the database on server, It would be necessary to keep the webserver running rather the pc, or nobody could access PDFE running Web Server?!

So It would be better to run PDFE on server and controll by remote desktop, for having a permanent access on database running web server?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »
Okay, I got it. So, if I run PDFE on desktop and create the database on server, It would be necessary to keep the webserver running rather the pc, or nobody could access PDFE running Web Server?!
Yes, that's the disadvantage of this option.
So It would be better to run PDFE on server and controll by remote desktop, for having a permanent access on database running web server?
IMHO, it's a much better solution.