Author Topic: suggestions - wish list  (Read 6602 times)

Anonymous

suggestions - wish list
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Firstly this is a really cool bit of software, been looking for something like this for years.

Cool as it maybe, these things would make it even cooler. This is my wishlist for the ultimate bit of research software.

1) One of the big probs I have with PDF that I download from journals etc is the silly filenames, :

lkhjefd.pdf

means nothing to me, so i then have to spend time renaming them to somthing usefull like :

Vennetier, Pierre (1968) Congo Brazzaville et Gabon.pdf

This used to take ages and PDF Explorer helps a lot esp with the iSBN / DOI function, but not all journals (esp old ones) have this nor do they have meta data, so I have to manually create the meta data.

Would it not be cool to have a similar to MusicID for Mp3's where I can connect to a server and it will automatically work out what the meta data should be, by reading the first few pages and comparing it to its database. Could then even use it with old scanned OCRed docs.

2) I have used many biblographic software and find them all to be useless, ending up creating my own in access. One of the probelms with them is the lack of using the meta data in the linked file.

PDF Explore does help out in this with the ability to export the grid, which I can then reformat to import into biblographic software. Could you not have a direct export feature to the main biblographic software. Or even better incoporate biblographic utiles in pdf explorer.

PDF Explorer is one major step in the right direction.

Carry on the great work

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Would it not be cool to have a similar to MusicID for Mp3's where I can connect to a server and it will automatically work out what the meta data should be, by reading the first few pages and comparing it to its database. Could then even use it with old scanned OCRed docs.

Point me some online service that provide this kind of functionality and I develop the interface.

PDF Explore does help out in this with the ability to export the grid, which I can then reformat to import into biblographic software. Could you not have a direct export feature to the main biblographic software.

Last PDF Explorer versions include one grid export filter to EndNote tagged format. If you use this kind of functionality could you please confirm if the filter is working as needed, or lack some kind of functionality. I'm not used to Endnote :(

Or even better incoporate biblographic utiles in pdf explorer.

What kind of utilities? Please, be more specific, I don't have these kind of needs so I really don't know what to develop.

A functionality to copy to clipboard the grid row in bibliographic format, with customizable format, where the user specify what grid fields to use to construct the biographic entry. Is this a good example of such utility?