PDF-ShellTools > General

Win 7 Explorer - SEARCH will not find metadata.

<< < (3/5) > >>

curtwpk:
I dont know where "pdf professional filter" came from.  Maybe when I was trolling for solutions on the Adobe site ?

I'll see if I can get rid of it.

If I change to  "Index Properties Only" I thought I would loose the access to TAGs?

I'll try some things you suggest. 

Fingers crossed.   I really want this to work.  We are trying to organize thousands of files of many different TYPEs on dozens of computers and your's looks like the most promissing solution to the .pdf problem.   Just gotta get over this hump.

Thanks for sticking with me here....

curtwpk:
Here is where Adobe iFilter comes from:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4025&promoid=DTEHN

curtwpk:
PROGRESS ! !

1.  I uninstalled Adobe reader and re-installed it from their web site.  That seemed to have gotten rid of the Professional Filter thing.  I have some memory that I may have used an Adobe tool enable their owne PDF iFilter?

2.  Then I changed the FILE TYPE indexing Method to "file properties only".   That AUTOmatically changed the Description from "PDF Filter" to "File Properties Filter".

The second step appears not to be necessary. I went back and tried both options (file properties only - and- file properties and contents).  They both seem to work ok.

So the culprit appears to be an iFilter that got installed somehow.  Probably the "built-in" PDF-iFilter that comes inside Adobe Reader.

I think this works now.  Whew !

I will buy a copy this morning and do some more testing on our bigger project.

T H A N K S  !

see attachments

RTT:

--- Quote from: curtwpk on January 04, 2013, 05:07:55 PM ---If I change to  "Index Properties Only" I thought I would loose the access to TAGs?

--- End quote ---
That option makes the indexer to only gather metadata properties (title, subject, author, tags, etc.), using a property handler, such as the one in PDF-ShellTools. The other option uses the property handler to index metadata properties, and an IFilter to index the text content. In older Windows versions the IFilter was used to index metadata too.

--- Quote from: curtwpk on January 04, 2013, 05:18:00 PM ---Here is where Adobe iFilter comes from:

--- End quote ---
That links to the 64-bit version of the IFilter. Newest versions of Acrobat and Acrobat Reader include a 32-bit IFilter, so you only need to install that one if you have a 64-bit Windows.
Probably your installed IFilter was the older version, that Adobe provided as standalone.

--- Quote from: curtwpk on January 04, 2013, 05:55:47 PM ---2.  Then I changed the FILE TYPE indexing Method to "file properties only".   That AUTOmatically changed the Description from "PDF Filter" to "File Properties Filter".

The second step appears not to be necessary. I went back and tried both options (file properties only - and- file properties and contents).  They both seem to work ok.

So the culprit appears to be an iFilter that got installed somehow.  Probably the "built-in" PDF-iFilter that comes inside Adobe Reader.

I think this works now.  Whew !

--- End quote ---
Excellent! Probably an older version of the PDF IFilter was the real culprit. My suggestion to change to "file properties only" was to test that possibility, as the IFilter included in the new Acrobat and Acrobat Reader versions works fine.

Indexing the content may be important or not. It depends on your PDFs management needs, but if metadata properties are enough, disabling the content indexation makes the background indexer process almost imperceptible. Not so when large PDFs content is being indexed.

curtwpk:
Thanks.  That all makes sense.

I have in fact checked "properties only " for the indexing since it is only the metadata that I want to organize on. 

I understand that I can however, search non-indexed files on whole content if I have the patience.  I wonder how to do a non-indexed search on CONTENT if the files are set up as Indexed-properties only ? ?  I'll work on that.

Anyway... for the future I guess you now know to tell folks to re-install Adobe if they have index problems with PDF-ShellTools  :)   Thanks for your patience and expertise.   Your noticing that "Professional PDF Filter" is what made the bells go off for me. 

Thanks Rui,
Curt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version