Author Topic: personal fields?  (Read 6264 times)

Anonymous

personal fields?
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
hello, I would like to know if it is possible to build custom fields and if it is possible to modify them with the quick tool.

This would be very helpful with scientific literature: beside title and author you have to record the journal containing the PDF (Say "Nature") and the issue/first page-last page information (say "1029: 3-14").
Also it would be helpful to add check/uncheck fields to be used for the few most used keywords.

I have only used the old free beta version, but nothing of this was not possible.

Thanks, Marco

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
You have the possibility to add a maximum of 100 personal fields. 10 personal (custom) fields are already enabled after installation but you can increase, or decrease, this number using the Database>CustomFieldsSettings tool.

With this configuration tool you can also give meaningful names to these custom fields (later you can overwrite these names with the creation of a custom grid layout (Edit>GridLayout>CreateNew) and even give the name of the pdf internal metadata fields (this is a more advanced feature used to make the PDFE custom fields compatible with other applications)

And obvious you can edit them using any of the tools PDF Explorer provide to edit the metadata fields.

I don't quit understand your idea of "check/uncheck fields to be used for the few most used keywords" (check/uncheck to enable/disable some field from search results?). anyway, check/uncheck fields are not possible right now. Even so you can use any of these custom fields as a flag number, let say, "1" for checked and "0" for unchecked.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
Thank you.
the check/uncheck fields are meant to find easily all PDF dealing with one particular keyword by sorting them with a click.

Maybe it would be a not-so-useful tool... I am just planning my PDF archive on my mind, so I am trying to figure how it should be (...partially by comparison with my photo archive, built with MyAlbum).
Of course, as personal fields can be added, you can easily manage with 0/1 to solve this matter... checkbox would just be smarter but definitively not necessary.

By the way, is it possible to customize the quick modify tool in order to fill fields created by the user?

Thanks, Marco

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
By the way, is it possible to customize the quick modify tool in order to fill fields created by the user?

All the PDFE tools, used to edit metadata, have access to the custom fields.
I suppose you are referring the functionality provided by the EditInfoFields batch tool.