Author Topic: 6 great new features!  (Read 7496 times)

Lev R.

6 great new features!
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
I suggest adding the following functions to the program:

1) Deskew (for image pdf)

2) Conversion of colors (for image pdf):
- black and white ( best in leptonica libraries)
- grayscale
- full color

3) Convert text to image PDF ( curve fonts)

4) Change page size (A4,А3,А2 etc)

5) Numbering pages (pagination)

6) Send the  pdf file to the program-compressor
These compressors do not support the command line:( but PDF-ShellTools script will help fix it))

Sorry for bad english, i use Google Translator

RTT

• Administrator
Re: 6 great new features!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:20:25 AM »
I suggest adding the following functions to the program:

1) Deskew (for image pdf)
Definitively. I intend to add automatic deskew to the rotate pages tool. Doing it manually, if you know the angle, is already possible.

2) Conversion of colors (for image pdf):
- black and white ( best in leptonica libraries)
- grayscale
- full color
Take a look to the optimize images tool.

Not a very good practice, and only useful for very specific scenarios needed by users that already have access to tools that can do this.

4) Change page size (A4,А3,А2 etc)
No specific tool available, but it can be done using the scripts API. I will try to include a sample script to do this in the next release.
5) Numbering pages (pagination)
The stamp tool has a dynamic text constant exactly for this.
These compressors do not support the command line:( but PDF-ShellTools script will help fix it))
If there is no command line, nor COM automation, how do you command these tools from a script?

nightslayer23

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:18:23 AM »
In regards to rotate.. It would be awesome if the rotate function had parameters.
Like, Rotate only Portrait or Landscape pages.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:35:48 PM »
Maybe making "Portrait" and "Landscape" page selector keywords... :-\

nightslayer23

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:18:56 AM »
will try it. wasn't in the parameters so didn't think it were possible.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:40 AM »
will try it. wasn't in the parameters so didn't think it were possible.
Still not possible. Just me thinking out loud, if this is perhaps the best approach to accomplish this.

Lev R.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 01:13:42 AM »
Not a very good practice, and only useful for very specific scenarios needed by users that already have access to tools that can do this.
This function is used quite often, for example, to reduce the size of text- based pdf file. It is implemented in the Actomat program, http://apps.kuczynski.pl
it works automatically when binarizing pdf. Used Leptonica library http://www.leptonica.com

If there is no command line, nor COM automation, how do you command these tools from a script?
I'm not an expert, but can not I make a script:
1) In the context menu of the pdf file(s), open the line PDF Shelltools "Compress with..." ( Specific settings are filled in by the user himself)
2)Starting the compressor program
3)Automatically transfer of the file(s) icon to the compressor program window.
Then you can manually select the compression mode and start
This will be similar to "Send to" command, if the program-compressor supported the command line

P.S. Sorry for bad english, i use Google Translator

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:42 AM »
This function is used quite often, for example, to reduce the size of text- based pdf file. It is implemented in the Actomat program, http://apps.kuczynski.pl
it works automatically when binarizing pdf. Used Leptonica library http://www.leptonica.com
That program only converts all the source files to black and white images (for PDFs, it renders each PDF to a image first) and then creates a PDF with these images. It's like a fax2pdf, without OCR, converter. No such advanced text to outlines (curves) functionality available.
And converting text to outlines usually increases the data size, so it's not a solution to reduce the file size.

I'm not an expert, but can not I make a script:
1) In the context menu of the pdf file(s), open the line PDF Shelltools "Compress with..." (Specific settings are filled in by the user himself)
2)Starting the compressor program
3)Automatically transfer of the file(s) icon to the compressor program window.
Then you can manually select the compression mode and start
This will be similar to "Send to" command, if the program-compressor supported the command line
For such a simple task, i.e. to provide a shell context menu to run that external program with the selected files, and if that application installer doesn't do that for you, or you want to provide your custom command line parameters, just create a My Tool to easily add it to the shell context menu. Check attached screenshot for details.

Or you may manually register a custom static verb.