Author Topic: PDF files disapear from Win 7 explorer library view  (Read 9467 times)

Bruce

PDF files disapear from Win 7 explorer library view
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »
After installing the demo version of pdf shell-tools in windows 7, pdf files disappear from my library view when I sort by anything but folder. My primary reason for trying shell-tools is to be able to sort files by tags, so this defeats the purpose....

RTT

• Administrator
Re: PDF files disapear from Win 7 explorer library view
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »
I suppose you are referring to the Windows 7 libraries "Arrange by" functionality?
I tried just now, (trial version in a Windows 7 64-bit PC) and is working just fine. From the 64-bit, and 32-bit Shell.
All the PDF files present in the library correctly pile, with respective 1st page thumbnails, by equal tags, when arranged by tag, as the attached screenshot demonstrate.

I even created a PDF custom field, mapped to the system Rating one, and, if library is set as optimized for music or pictures, you are able to arrange the PDFs by Ratting.  ;)

Check if the folders included in the library are correctly indexed.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/arrange-by-not-working-windows-7-libraries

Mumblic

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
Hi

I have the same problem as Bruce.

Not very useful when 95% of pdf files disappear if one of the  "Arrange by" options is selected.
Initially everything looked fine, but from the moment I started to change the properties (author,tag, title, etc) the files disappeared
Strangely enough a few PDF files are still listed. Could not find an explanation for that

System config:
- Windows 7 64 bit
- Acrobat Reader XI
- Acrobat Ifilter v9.0 64 bit installed. (this one is essential to make full text search work)

Maybe there's a conflict with the adobe IFilter

Best Regards
Mumblic

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »
Maybe this is related to the fact the current online trial version works as expired, when invoked by the Windows search indexer, so not feeding the indexer with metadata. This happens because the search indexer works from a Windows user (system) limited account, so also the PDF-ShellTools property handler when invoked by it, making it fail to read the trial control data in this scenario (a new version is almost ready, with this problem with the trial version fixed). Even so, the files would not disappear,  but rather pile in the unspecified group, or the trial expired message that is in this situation the metadata returned, and would show again if you arrange by a non PDF related metadata property. If this is not the case, I don't understand how the PDF-ShellTools property handler could have anything to do with this problem.

I suppose if you open the real folder, not the library one, the files are there and show the metadata correctly in the details pane?

By what property are you arranging by?

Acrobat Ifilter v9.0 64 bit installed. (this one is essential to make full text search work)
No idea if it may be the culprit, but probably not. But you can easily find out, disabling it temporarily.
And if you have your PDFs filled with meaningful metadata, you don't even need this, that only serves to slowdown, and eat resource from, your system. The property handler will also used by the search indexer to index the metadata properties, so the search functionality will continue to find your PDFs (obviously because of the problem I referred above it's not working with the trial version).

Mumblic

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Maybe this is related to the fact the current online trial version works as expired, when invoked by the Windows search indexer, so not feeding the indexer with metadata.
This could be right. I can't remember it but it is possible that I already installed it once many months ago. I didn't received any message that was saying that my trial period was already expired. Actually everything seems to work fine. But you are right, in the beginning some strange tags came up. Saying that something was expired. I thought these tags were inserted by an other program.

I suppose if you open the real folder, not the library one, the files are there and show the metadata correctly in the details pane?
Yes, your right.

By what property are you arranging by?
The problem existed with every property: Author, Tag, Type and even name. Off course arranging by folder was not a problem

Acrobat Ifilter v9.0 64 bit installed. (this one is essential to make full text search work)
No idea if it may be the culprit, but probably not. But you can easily find out, disabling it temporarily.
And if you have your PDFs filled with meaningful metadata, you don't even need this, that only serves to slowdown, and eat resource from, your system. The property handler will also used by the search indexer to index the metadata properties, so the search functionality will continue to find your PDFs (obviously because of the problem I referred above it's not working with the trial version).

I tried this, but it did not solve the problem. Like you said it has something to do with expiring of the trial.

On the other hand I do not agree that full text search is not useful. For me is it essential. Only metadata is not enough, but also important, Especially for grouping/ordering data/files.

Thanks again
Mumblic