Author Topic: Have trouble getting past about 50% on progress bar for large collections  (Read 6268 times)

rexateps

First on a 500 GB drive fairly full, then on a folder with about 53,000 files, the progress indication for batch indexing seems to stop at about halfway.  When I press stop, it can't seem to stop, continues to flash "stopping batch" without finishing.  Windows explorer often shuts itself down when I ask it to search the entire computer for a text string.  Is it possible I have some bad file that ties searches in knots?  Any thoughts other than do the work on smaller collections?

RTT

• Administrator
I assume you are referring to the "Index text words" batch tool.
Before submitting the files to the batch tool, sort the grid by the "Security" column and select all the files except the ones that have a number higher than 1 on that column. Run now the batch tool and see if problem persist.

When the batch tool gets stuck you have indication of the file being processed or, at least, the last one processed. Try to exclude that one that is supposed the tool is working on, to see if the problem is related to that specific file.
You don't need to submit to the tool all the files at once, so you can submits subsets and use this method to isolate the problem.

Let me know about your findings.

rexateps

Looks like it has a security level of 0.  When I isolated the file it was hanging up with and took a look at it, it looked to be scanned.  The selection of text with either PDFxchange or Reader has that blocky highlighting look.  It's a paper that was published in '94, and the PDF created with Acrobat 3 in'03, 4 MB in size.  Can send you a copy to examine if that helps.  I probably have others of similar origin I'll need to deal with.

RTT

• Administrator
It would be great if you could send me that file then. So I can fix what appears to be an infinite loop in the text extraction routines.
Just attach it to an email message and send it to the email address you will find in the program about box