Author Topic: Problems concerning Metadata  (Read 11998 times)

e-san

Problems concerning Metadata
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »
Hello,
I've been testing ur Programm for a couple of hours now, and well, I'm impressed. Nearly everything I've been looking for merged in one Programm.
But as allways errors occured: First, German Umlauts (ä,ü ...) but I think u have noticed this before. And worse then that sometimes the (Trial-?)Programm seems to ignore the changes that I made. In the Database everything shows up correctly but when I open the PDF in Adobe Reader the for example Autor remains the same (wrong one). It's about 1 out of 20 pdf's and I can't reconstruct why exactly these PDF's dont work.

Perhaps there is a solution for that

Thanking you in anticipation
e-san

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Problems concerning Metadata
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »
First, German Umlauts (ä,ü ...) but I think u have noticed this before.
Yes, I can confirm this is now fixed. Metadata is saved in two different PDF file places. In one of those, the XMP object, metadata was not being properly encoded by PDFE.

And worse then that sometimes the (Trial-?)Programm seems to ignore the changes that I made. In the Database everything shows up correctly but when I open the PDF in Adobe Reader the for example Autor remains the same (wrong one). It's about 1 out of 20 pdf's and I can't reconstruct why exactly these PDF's dont work.
For sure not a problem imposed by any intended trial version limitation. Trial versions are fully functional.
If the problem always happen with the same file(s), and you can't make it working for that particular file(s), even if trying more than one time, please send me one sample so I can check for what's wrong.
If it's random behavior, probably it's the, already know, file lock problem. In some system (I never experienced that), it seems Acrobat sometimes lock the opened PDF, even when PDFE instruct Acrobat to open a new one, and because of that PDFE can't edit the file metadata, updating only the database. The new, in development, build 59 version, (build 58 + patch4, for licensed users, already show) will show up a warning message, with a retry option as a workaround to the problem. Even so, I recommend that you test with another PDF reader. Foxit reader and the PDF-Xchange reader, both free, are very good and are not known to produce that problem.
You can also try to change the way PDFE uses the Acrobat reader plug-in, under the Edit>Preference>InternalPDFReader. Change from "Internet Explorer Default" to "Adobe Acrobat", and see if that change something. Take note that, to use the other two proposed readers, you must use the "Internet Explorer Default" option, and set the new reader as the default Windows Shell PDF files assigned reader.

e-san

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »
That was exactly the "lock file" problem. I edited the files once again and everything is ok.

e-san

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »
A workaround for this problem is first export the csv, anonymize and then import the csv again

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »
Why anonymize?!!
Your method also work but the best way to impose the database metadata to the PDF's, in order to fix files that may have failed to update because of this problem, is to use the "Update documents info fields" batch tool.

e-san

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »
I dont know why to anonymize but without anononymization the error remains the same.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »
So, the problem you are referring to is the one related to "German Umlauts (ä,ü ...)"?  I though it was the other one, of some files not being updated because of the file lock problem.
If yes, work because the anonymize clear the XMP metadata object, where PDFE uses a wrong encoding. Because Acrobat try first to read metadata from that XMP object, if it's not available (PDFE only update, don't add, the XMP object) it will read the metadata from the standard PDF's metadata object, and this one PDFE add and update correctly.

ralphffm44

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
Hi,

I have another problem with metadate - I want to use the Batch-Command-Tool to edit many title-fields from the dataset-names. In your description there is a possibility to do so - but in my version 1.5.0.58 its not possible to make title equal to dataset-name.

And if this is not a bug - what about a feature to make title-information from dataset-name - best with the chance to use a regular expression?

Greetings from Germany
Ralph

PS: A wonderful tool!

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »
If by "dataset-name" you mean the Filename, you can easily use the Edit Info Fields batch tool to achieve that.
Check attached image. In your case, to fill the Title metadata field with the filename, just enable the Title field, and type the filename reference constant [F] on it.

ralphffm44

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »
Hi,

thank you for the fast reply, thats nearly the solution i need.

But as we users are  ;) - one further question: What can i do to use only a part of the filename?
Example:
My filenames have the struktur: author - series - title.pdf
so i would like zu extrakt only the part until the first "-"

Greetings from Germany
Ralph

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
Similar question already posted here in the forum, so take a look
http://www.rttsoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=302.msg617#msg617