Author Topic: Questions about PDFDBGrid  (Read 6674 times)

Winnie

Questions about PDFDBGrid
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »
Hi,

I have some questions about the PDFexplorer which I hope you can help.

I have saved some specific references in a few XXX.grd but I need to work between them. I wonder if it is possible to open several of them simultanously?

Also, since my previous harddisk die, the pathname of my PDF files have changed. But the pathname in the saved XXX.grd are old, is there anyway I can edit these XXX.grd files directly to correct the pathnames?

Last, is there anyway I have only search within the Workgrid? or only search within the searched results?

Thanks,
Winnie

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Questions about PDFDBGrid
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »
I have saved some specific references in a few XXX.grd but I need to work between them. I wonder if it is possible to open several of them simultanously?
Keeping several saved grids open is not possible, but you can concatenate more than one in the same grid.
Don't know what kind of task you need to do between these grids but if a concatenated grid can help, here is how to proceed.
  1. Select all the ScanGrid contents, if any, and click the RemoveCheckedFileFromGrid toolbutton to clear the ScanGrid.
  2. Open one of these saved grids. The opened grid will open, as usual, in the Workgrid.
  3. Select all these WorkGrid files and click the CopyCheckedFilesFromGridToGrid to copy these files references from WorkGrid to ScanGrid.
  4. Repeat from point 2, opening and copying WorkGrid contents to ScanGrid. The ScanGrid will be your concatenated grid.

Also, since my previous harddisk die, the pathname of my PDF files have changed. But the pathname in the saved XXX.grd are old, is there anyway I can edit these XXX.grd files directly to correct the pathnames?

Not really. The .grd is a binary, and compressed, proprietary file format.
But you can use a little trick to accomplish that.
  1. Open you grid and export it to a .csv file. Export all the columns, less the DiskLabel and DiskSerial ones.
  2. Edit the .csv file in MS Excel, or any other application with .csv files edit capabilities (with a little care you can do it in a text editor), to change these paths.
  3. Use the PDF Explorer Import functionality to import that .csv again. While in the ImportWizard, uncheck the UpdateDocumentSourceFileInfoDictionary option, as, in this case, there is no need to update the physical files metadata.
  4. Now change to the WorkGrid and you will see there the imported grid with updated paths. You can now save it replacing the old one.

Last, is there anyway I have only search within the Workgrid? or only search within the searched results?
Yes, the Search/Filter functionality, 2nd tabsheet bellow grids, does exactly that.

Padanges

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Hi,
my File>Import... menu item is not available (it is disabled) - I can't test your Import Wizard functionality. What do you need in order to use that function?

Thanks in advance.

Padanges

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »
Strangely, the Imoort... menu item got enabled :o . Which means there can be situations where you get it "locked"? Or it's just M$Windows... Anyways.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:28:16 AM »
Strangely, the Imoort... menu item got enabled :o . Which means there can be situations where you get it "locked"? Or it's just M$Windows... Anyways.
It gets disabled when there is a batch tool running or a DiskTree scanning is ongoing.