Author Topic: Batch Tools  (Read 6410 times)

sorento

Batch Tools
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
I am using Batch Tools very often but I use only two tools from the scroll menu.
Batch Rename and Edit Info Fields.

I use for the same selection of the files both of them
and I have to select from the scroll menu each time I use them.
In topic from 03-03-2008, I described idea how to change Batch Tools layout but today I have one more suggestion.

These two very powerful tools are separated but there is no reason to separate them.

At least I don't know why they should be separated. Maybe some permission rights when renaming files and at the same time trying to change metadata or maybe there is no reason.

I think it would be logical to merge them.

You can easy add at the top of the Edit Info Fields window new row "Filename" and make it possible to move contents of the fields to any other fields as discussed in topic from 31-01-2008. For example with few check boxes.

After this change it would be possible functionality like this:
select file or files
select tab Batch Tools
select toll Edit Info Fields

or use keyboard shortcut for open Edit Info Fields

For field filename: copy any other field as a file name if there is used the same name ask
For field title: copy file name or any other field for title field or use entered text as title
For any next field: the same as for title

click on go

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
If you can statically define the batch tools task take a look to the Extra>TaskAutomationFolders tool.
With this tool you can configure a sequence of tasks to be executed when, in the monitored folder, PDF files are created/changed.

Another option is to use a command line tool, for example PDF-ShellTools command line interface, and create a DOS batch, or Windows Script, file to perform these custom tasks you often execute. In next PDFE version there is the possibility to call external application/scripts from the interface itself, passing selected grid files as parameters.

sorento

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
It is hard to define this task statically.
The input data are the same only for one folder. It can contain one file but also 100 files.
Then for the next folder are subject author and keywords different.
Title is usually file name but as file name has limitation in length and characters, I have to make a change in almost each file. But this is done in the next step.

From my point of view it would be useful if I could copy file name to title and assign same text for subject author and keywords in one step.

Maybe will help just adding options in Edit Info Fields window for copy contents from any field to any.

And the same in the window batch rename.

But it is just suggestion. It is on you how it will be.