Author Topic: Winstall.exe - helpp!!  (Read 7004 times)

Anonymous

Winstall.exe - helpp!!
« on: December 16, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »
Hi
My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
Lots of thanks

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 05:34:00 PM »
This is not the correct place to ask these things, even so I can say you can probably delete that file without problem because if it is in your desktop I'm sure is not a system file. If you can not delete it, it is probably because that file is running and you need to kill its task. For that just start the Windows Task Manager (press the CTRL+Alt+DEL keys simultaneous in your keyboard) and, if listed in the running processes, terminate it. Now you can delete the file. Many other possibilities to lock the file exist but this one is the most common. If system continues to refuse to delete the file, try specialty forums. These guys can help you because they know already what unwanted software use that file.