Author Topic: Merge/Split Operation Error  (Read 4646 times)

illanetswitch

Merge/Split Operation Error
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:14:18 AM »
Strange occurrence, user had started the day utilising the split tool and after an hour (not sure what happened in this window) upon trying to split a pdf they were greeted with an Operation Error which would not allow them to split the file. Upon trying a different account on the same machine, it appeared to work fine. Compared the registry and noticed that under 'HKCU>Software>PDFShellTools>PDFTools>Split' there is a subkey called SplitRules. In this Key there are multiple values called str0, str1, str2 and so forth. Upon deleting these values, I attempt to split a file and it works to succession, tried again with different value (i.e. pages 3-4) and the error came back. This also created a value of str0 with the data set to 3-4.

Not sure how it is supposed to look, does anyone have a copy of what the registry SHOULD look like. Comparing the users registry to my own and noticed some minor differences however we are running different versions. User is on 3.1, I am on 2.6.1

illanetswitch

Re: Merge/Split Operation Error
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:21:21 AM »
Error word for word is:
"Operation Failed: Unknown Error"
(File Path)

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Merge/Split Operation Error
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:14:31 AM »
These values in the registry are just the list of the last used split rules, shown in the tool dialog split rules field combobox drop down list.

When the user is getting that error, does it work clicking the "preview", instead of the "run", button? If yes, check if the "output filename" field is set to generate always the same filename. If that file already exists (from a previous split run) and it is open in the shell preview pane, or another application, that "Operation Failed: Unknown Error" message will fire.