Author Topic: Keeping options selected between uses  (Read 4179 times)

JoshW

Keeping options selected between uses
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
Hello,

My company uses PDF-Shelltools fairly regularly, and after a site-wide upgrade to Windows 10 we are receiving complaints from users trying to use the Merge Pages tool. When they merge PDFs, they want to keep their bookmarks, which I know is an option with PDF-Shelltools. However, we have to continue to select the "Keep bookmarks" option each time we merge PDFs, and it is disrupting workflow as we tend to merge PDFs fairly frequently.

Is having the "Keep bookmarks" checkbox selected something I can set within PDF-Shelltools, or is that simply not something I can do with this program?

Thank you!

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Keeping options selected between uses
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Just tried here, with the version 3.0 and Win10, and the last run settings are being correctly reload on the next run session.
The setting are saved at the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\PDFShellTools\PDFTools\Merge, under the LastUsed value. The keep bookmarks option is defined by a <kb>1</kb> item in that value. Does these users have this value in their Windows registry, and it is being changed accordingly with the last used settings?

Some users are reporting that, under Windows 10, an error is showing up when any of the tools finish. Any of these users have this issue too? Because this specific error occurs when a tool finish, maybe it is preventing the settings from being saved to the registry?
I have not been able to reproduce the problem here, but I have developed a fix that seems to be working at these users PCs. If you wanna try it too, please contact me by email.

JoshW

Re: Keeping options selected between uses
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »
Evidently this is one of those issues that simply resolved itself overnight, as looking into it this morning I find that none of the users who were having the issue are affected anymore. Still, knowing which registry key to look at in the event this issue crops up again is tremendously helpful. Thank you!