Author Topic: How to edit custom fields  (Read 8624 times)

FP

How to edit custom fields
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:01:08 PM »
Hi, I am evaluating PDF Shell Tools and I know how to add Custom Fields. These fields also show up in Windows Explorer, but how do I put values into them?

Best regards,
Frans

RTT

• Administrator
Re: How to edit custom fields
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »
First you need Windows Vista or up. You can then edit the standard, and custom fields, from the Windows Explorer details pane, and file properties details panel. And don't forget to add the properties you want visible in the details pane using the PDF-ShellTools manager property handler settings editor.
More info here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-properties-for-a-file

FP

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:23:32 AM »
Thanks for your response.

I use Vista and I can edit standard fields in the details pane. However, although custom fields show up in explorer, they don't show up in the details pane.
Even so, it would take to much time to edit the fields of all those PDF files one by one.

I found out that in PDF explorer you can add and change custom field settings and there is a batch tool to edit document info fields, which is a much faster solution for me.

I will evaluate PDF explorer in a Terminal Server environment with my colleagues and I expect some problems in the database settings. If so, I will open a thread in the PDF Explorer forum.

Frans

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »
I use Vista and I can edit standard fields in the details pane. However, although custom fields show up in explorer, they don't show up in the details pane.

Do they show in the file properties dialog box, full details pane?

Have you configured the details pane items to make these fields visible?

Also, make sure you are using the last 2.0.1 version. There is a related bug in previous versions.

Even so, it would take to much time to edit the fields of all those PDF files one by one.
In Windows Explorer you can select more than one file, and edit the property in all at the same time. Obvious only useful if you want to add the same field content to all.
If you need more complex metadata edit functionality, you can code a MyScrits script, and run it from the explorer file context menu.

valuex

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 03:42:47 AM »
I've tried to rate a pdf file using PDF shell-tools in Windows 8.1. 
The customized column Star appears in the explorer.
However, the corresponding customized field can NOT be edited in the detail pane.

Please help. Thanks

valuex

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 04:02:52 AM »
I've tried to rate a pdf file using PDF shell-tools in Windows 8.1. 
The customized column Star appears in the explorer.
However, the corresponding customized field can NOT be edited in the detail pane.

Please help. Thanks
My apologize, this can be done in Win8.1.
It's gorgeous. :)

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 03:19:12 PM »
Sometimes, after defining the custom fields, there is the need to restart the Windows Explorer, using the task manager, to make the new defined fields fully functional.
Take also note that Windows 8 and 8.1 does not provide metadata edit capabilities if the file reference is from a search results or library list view. This does not occur in Windows Vista or 7, so it's one of these Win 8 "enhancements" that gave Windows 8.x the reputation it has ;)