Author Topic: Bookmarks with Insert-Append Tool  (Read 8868 times)

LukeV

Bookmarks with Insert-Append Tool
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:19:14 AM »
Hi Rui,

I have been trying out the additional options given with the merge tool, that creates bookmarks at the start of each file being merged. This works great.
However, while the same option is given with the insert-append tool (used when dropping PDF's onto eachother to merge) it doesn't seem to work.

Cheers,

Luke

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Bookmarks with Insert-Append Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
Hi Luke,
Indeed isn't working! I'm going to check for what's wrong, and try to include a fix in the patch 1 release. Thanks for pointing it out.

But you can also invoke the merge tool from the drag and drop handler. You just need to press the shift key when dropping.

LukeV

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:10:09 AM »
Thanks!
I'll keep an eye out for the update.

I'll have to re-read the user manual to catch up with all the new functions! Didn't know about holding shift. I see you can also hold ALT to run the insert without the GUI. That would come in handy when the order of documents isn't important.

Cheers,

Luke

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »
I see you can also hold ALT to run the insert without the GUI. That would come in handy when the order of documents isn't important.
That order is predictable, and is determined by the right clicked file. The Shell constructs the list starting at that file, next adds all the selected files bellow it, and then the ones above it, starting from the top.

Sadly, Windows 7 items view control (that replace the list view of early Windows), used to show the files in Windows Explorer, does not support custom positioning, and custom ordering, anymore, so this predictable order is not sufficient in all the situations. >:(

LukeV

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 04:02:48 AM »
Ahh.. I have always wondered how it sorts the files!!
Thanks

LukeV

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 03:02:43 AM »
Thanks for getting the bookmarks working!

Another question. With the  PDF Package tool, can you specify the package to show documents in a specific order, or does the reader always revert it to sort by file name?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
With the  PDF Package tool, can you specify the package to show documents in a specific order, or does the reader always revert it to sort by file name?
The PDF specification provide ways to define this order, but it's something not implemented yet. I also feel that the tool is a bit handicapped without this functionality, so I will try to add it to the next release.