Author Topic: Metatags does not seem to follow pdf file  (Read 7366 times)

Anonymous

Metatags does not seem to follow pdf file
« on: April 23, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
We are using PDF E in a network. PDF files on the server. When one user changs metatags in a file this is not alway (but sometimes) visible for others??
We use metatags .. Creaton date, Title, Subject , Author to input important info but this is useless if we cannot rely that info is saved and visible to everybody looking at the PDF file.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
You are always referring to this problem and I'm always pointing you the possible causes for that. First you have to discover if PDFE fails to edit the files metadata because of some incompatibility with these files or just because these files are in use by another application at time of metadata edition. As I explained before, PDFE does not inform user of the problem and just update the database if at metadata edition time the PDF file is locked for write access. The next version will show up a warning note with retry/cancel options.
 With the type of Client-Server architecture that you are trying to implement this can occur if the PDF file is in use by one client and another client try to edit that file metadata. Only with the Web interface functionality we can develop a true Client/Server service but with this mode the clients can only consult, not change, server database.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Sry that I did not understand your past message but then you were talking about editing outside PDF E.
This time we worked only within PDF E.
When do you estimate next version to be ready?

I like your program but need to find ways to work and be able to rely that no info is lost during the process of working with files and metatags.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
MIght have detected a bug
Now I made sure that only one person was working with the files and updated Metatags. Changes is not visable when using PDF E from another computer.
Are Metatags info stored locally together with user or in files? ???

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
PDF Explorer try to update the metatags in both places, database and PDF file itself. Do not forget that you have to rescan the folder where that file is using the direct scan mode, DiskTree, in the other user computer with its local PDFE copy.

You can easily check if the files had been updated or not. Just open them in Acrobat and check the metadata fields.

Are you updating the file in a shared folder with UNC path, folder mapped to drive letter, local path, ... ?

If even using local path the file is not updated, please send me one of these file so I can check by myself if some incompatibility exist.