PDF-ShellTools > Bug reports

PDFShellTools under limited account

(1/3) > >>

hhcc:
PDFShellTools causes xplorer2 crash under limited user account: xplorer2 works fine unless it opens a directory containing pdf's and the "Details" view has columns.In that case, xplorer2 works fine until it is closed when it crashes. I confirmed it is PDFShellTools' fault by installing PDF-Xchange, which takes over the shell extensions (although it does not have the same functionality as PDF-Xchange), and xplorer2 does not crash in that case (it takes some time to show the icons though).

In another problem related to PDFShellTools, it causes OneNote to lose search registration and prevents (under limited acounts) its re-registration. See the error messages produced by OneNote:

Any ideas about a possible solution?

RTT:

--- Quote ---PDFShellTools causes xplorer2 crash under limited user account:

--- End quote ---
Windows user limited account? And works fine with administrator accounts?
With what Windows and xplorer2 versions
Have you checked with other Windows Explorer alike tools (UltraExplorer, Total Commander,...)?

--- Quote ---In another problem related to PDFShellTools, it causes OneNote to lose search registration
--- End quote ---
And what service is OneNote trying to register? A Property Handler for OneNote file types? If yes, then unless it register also for .pdf files (and in this case only one property handler can be registered for each file type), I can't see where PDF-ShellTools can be responsible. Do you know what registry keys the OneNote changes?

--- Quote ---and prevents (under limited accounts) its re-registration.
--- End quote ---
That probably because under limited account OneNote setup can't make changes to the registry.

hhcc:
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.

--- Quote from: RTT on February 04, 2011, 03:33:50 PM ---
--- Quote ---PDFShellTools causes xplorer2 crash under limited user account:

--- End quote ---
Windows user limited account? And works fine with administrator accounts?
With what Windows and xplorer2 versions
Have you checked with other Windows Explorer alike tools (UltraExplorer, Total Commander,...)?

--- End quote ---
Yes, PDFShellTools causes the crash under limited accounts only. There is no problem under administrative accounts.

I have checked explorer++, but that does not seem to use shell extensions, so I ditched it. I have not tried UltraExplorer not TotalCommander. I will if I cannot solve this issue. I want to be able to save column settings on a per-folder basis.

I am using the xplorer2 version 1.8.1.2 [Unicode] x64 1/25/2011.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---In another problem related to PDFShellTools, it causes OneNote to lose search registration
--- End quote ---
And what service is OneNote trying to register? A Property Handler for OneNote file types? If yes, then unless it register also for .pdf files (and in this case only one property handler can be registered for each file type), I can't see where PDF-ShellTools can be responsible. Do you know what registry keys the OneNote changes?

--- Quote ---and prevents (under limited accounts) its re-registration.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I spent 4 hours with Microsoft technical service trying to fix this issue. At the end, I had to grant temporarily administrative permissions to my limited account. Anyway, I can reproduce the steps that lead to that OneNote issue. Any change in the property handler using PDF-ShellTools Manager will cause OneNote to "unregister" from the search service.

I have tried re-installing PDF-ShellTools, un-installing Acrobat reader, re-installing Acroba professional, uninstalling "Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader", etc.

hhcc:
Update:

The OneNote issue is not unique to PDFShellTools. It also happens when I install/remove Acrobat's PDF IFilter for 64.

RTT:
I've just now tested the xplorer2 under a Windows 7 user limited account and I can confirm the issue. Program crash at close if during the session a folder with PDFs, and in details view, invoke the PDF-ShellTools Property Handler.
No issues with Windows Explorer and UltraExplorer, so I suppose it's a problem with xplorer2 itself. Could be related to something that the PDF-ShellTools is not doing correctly, but most probably involves a valid situation (the other explorers don't crash) not correctly handled by the xplorer2. You should contact the developer to see if he can fix the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version