Author Topic: Update does not work  (Read 8280 times)

mans

Update does not work
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:57:59 AM »
Hello,
if I use the Update-button I get the message: the update server is down ...

Proxy is set correct - firewall ist disabled. What to do?

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Update does not work
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »
If you are using an older than version 1.5.0.58+Patch 3 (newest public version is v1.5.0.59) , that will happen because old versions check for updates in the old, now down, site.

If that's not the case, and you are already using the newest version, this can also happen if you are running PDFE in a 64-bit Windows. The problem is related to the DiskTree tree component, so to make the updates work you have to make sure PDFE starts without initiating this component, before you check for updates. You just need to change to a DB scan mode (any of the DBDiskTree, DBDisk or DBSearch will do), and exit PDFE. Now start it again, PDFE will start in the scan mode of the last session, not initiating the faulty component, and you can go check for updates. If that's the problem that is happening at your system, you will see it will work this time.

The build 59 patch1, already online for registered users,  fix this problem.

mans

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »
Hello,

thanks for your answer but the update-buttin still fails:

I use 1.5.0.59
Windows XP Prof. (32 bit)

F. Martens

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:41:32 PM »
So it's not an older PDFE version, nor the 64-bit problem.
You refer you are using a proxy. If the proxy require authentication, it will fail when downloading the updates (I discovered this yesterday and it's already fixed), but the list of updates will show, so probably not your case here. Works fine if anonymous access allowed.
If you are able to set up a direct, no proxy, connection, try it that way.

mans

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »
Hello,

so far as I get it: I have to wait for a possibility to download an update or a patch.

Windows XP Prof. (32bit)
pdfexplorer 1.5.0.59
proxy (squid proxy, without authentication)

F. Martens

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
I want to help, but that's not easy from here to understand what could be your system specific configuration that lead to this problem. If you have access to the proxy logs, maybe you can understand a little more about the error.
Meanwhile, if you really can't set up a direct connection, without using the proxy ( that I suspect could be the problem if the problem is in the PDFE code, and I'm going to investigate further), the updates for the trial versions are public, and available for manual download from the downloads page, and, if you are a registered user, just drop me a line and request the direct download link to the update/patch you want to install. Get the support email address from the program about box, menu Help>About.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
I found the source of the problem. Checking for updates, if configured to use a proxy, definitively don't work. A ping command, to determine if Internet connection is available, is being executed, so if PC don't has a direct Internet connection available, the check for updates will fail. As I failed to test this feature, forgetting to block the direct Internet connection on the PC's used in the tests :-[
Sorry all who have loosed time trying to figure out what could be wrong on their side. Soon I will put a fix online.