Author Topic: How about a new file extension for the application? PDZ?  (Read 21257 times)

Tester

How about a new file extension for the application? PDZ?
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
Hi! First this program is great, and I agree about certain improvements mention here by other people.
My idea is as follows. To add an extensión known as PDZ or similar (standing for PDF Zipped or Winrared in this case). Im sure you are familiar with the extension .CBR for comic collections. And .ISZ for Compressed ISO files.
I like those extensions because they DO save a lot of space in disk (wether on HD or CD), they are convenient as you group many files into one (as it could be with PDZ), and you can access them fast and transparently. The file extension could be named PEF (PDF Explorer File) or something like that, but I think it could be cooler if the file is like PDZ as it could be more standard for other software to use and become wide available. I think it should be compressed by winrar or winace (as they give extra compression compare to zip) maybe even 7zip. But why call it PDZ and not PDR (for rar) or PDA (ACE) or similar? Well ... I thought PDZ sounds more familiar, more "commercial".

Maybe you could even add an option inside of the program to pack some of the files in those grids into one PDZ file.

I don't know but I think it would be a cool idea. I have made some registry, extension changes myself and ... I goes SO/SO. Im sure with just a bit code you could make it work nicely and It would be more useful.

Once again, Thanks!  :)

RTT

• Administrator
Re: How about a new file extension for the application? PDZ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:49:14 AM »
I have from some time a similar idea. To extend the current save grid functionality to be able to attach also the files into it. In current format file shortcuts point to the external PDF's, with the new one will point to the PDF's  packed inside the archive itself, making this way the grid collection archive completely portable. Metadata index and PDF's packed in the same file.

Metadata index and other .grd specific data can be put in a xml archive, or a proprietary binary format file,  and packed with the rest of the files in a rar, 7zip, or whatever format I will find best suitable for. The file extension can be set to what you propose, .PDZ ;)

PDFE will be able to open the .PDZ file as now with .GRD's, and also scan it as normally does with .zip, .rar or .ace archives.

What do you think, fulfill your idea?