Author Topic: PDFExplorer Trial cannot be uninstalled  (Read 7481 times)

Anonymous

PDFExplorer Trial cannot be uninstalled
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
By trying to uninstall PDFE 1.5.0.58 after the trial period a problem is displayed:
Failed to get version numbers of _shfoldr.dll

How do I uninstall tthe trial version?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
The uninstaller works fine! Probably something at your system is responsible of this bad behavior.
I have google for the error you refer and found some others reporting similar problems, but related to other programs.
It appears some security softwares, Zone Alarm is referenced, erroneously mark that inno setup file (the application used to install and uninstall PDFE), as malware, so, try to disable any anti-virus, anti-malware, or similar programs, and try again.

You can also try to install PDFE again, in order to replace the uninstaller files that eventually may be corrupted, and next try to uninstall it again.

If any of these suggestions don't work, you can always uninstall it manually, and here is how to proceed.
Any sequence of the next steps will work. Adapt the paths to the specificity of your system.

- Delete the main program folder, and all of its contents. C:\Program Files\PDF Explorer
- Delete the program data folder. Type %Appdata% at Windows Explorer address bar to go to the logged user Applications Data folder, delete the PDF Explorer folder present there.
- Delete the PDF Explorer folder from the Start Menu
- Run regedit and delete the PDF Explorer registry entry, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PDFExplorer
- Remove the PDF Explorer reference from the Add or Remove Programs list, deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PDF Explorer_is1 key
- Remove the .grd file association, removing the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.grd and the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PDFE.Grid registry keys.
- Delete the PDFE shortcuts icons form the Desktop and QuickLaunch, if created when you have installed it.
- Type %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo at Windows Explorer address bar, and delete the PDF Explorer shortcut found in that folder. Only there if create SendTo icon option set while installing.

And that's it, program uninstalled ;)
Let me know if you don't know how to execute some of these steps.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Thank you for your help!

Since I could not disable F-Secure due to missing administrator priviledges I reinstalled PDFE.

After this the uninstaller worked fine.