Author Topic: Command line is not working on Windows 2003  (Read 8864 times)

Anderssod

Command line is not working on Windows 2003
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
Hi!

I recently bought your software and installed it on my server.
I needed to merge some pdf-document in a folder in silent mode.

When I use the interface in windows explorer, everything is ok and a question for the file to save is displayed.

But when I start from a command prompt (without the silent switch), the interface is displayed and when hitting "run" it seems like something is processed (green processbars at bottom) but after that it just dissapear.

And same thing when running silent, the command promt is active a few seconds but then it dissapears and no file is created.

I tried this on a virtual machine in vmware (windows xp) and it works ok, the file is created.

What is wrong?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
What you describe will happen if the output filename, filename= parameter, is wrong or is not specified.
I don't have access to W2k3 right now, so I can't test if there is some specificity involved but I really don't see what MS could have done to influence this specific subject.

Here is one example of correct command line:
Rundll32 "c:\Program Files\PDF-ShellTools\PDFShellTools.dll",Merge filename=c:\tmp\merged.pdf -s c:\tmp\file1.pdf;c:\tmp\file2.pdf

Make also sure, if any of the parameters involved contains space characters that parameters must be double-quoted
Rundll32 "c:\Program Files\PDF-ShellTools\PDFShellTools.dll",Merge "filename=c:\my output folder\merged.pdf" -s c:\tmp\file1.pdf;c:\tmp\file2.pdf

Anderssod

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I found the problem!

On my server I have two partions, one C drive (where PDF Shelltools are installed) and one D drive for data files.

When I created a folder named "tmp" on C: i was able to create the merged file in that folder with PDF files from D: and with the script that you proposed.

However I couldn't really find any difference in my original script except the fact I was trying to create the merged file on the D drive.

So I created the same folder on D: and changed the script from "filename=c:\tmp\merged.pdf" to "filename=d:\tmp\merged.pdf" and it doesn't work!

It seems like impossible to create the merged file on the D drive?
I will solve this by moving the created file with a batch file.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
Oops! there's a bug peeking in here....
Fixed. ;)
Now, If only file name provided in the Filename parameter, the merged file will be created in the directory of the first file in the merge list.
if full path provided, but no file name, the save as dialog will popup at that directory.
If empty Filename parameter, the save as dialog will popup at directory of the first file in the merge list.

I'm going to do more tests and probably tomorrow night I will put online a new patch. Get it later from the automatic updates.

Thank you very much for pointing out this problem.