Author Topic: MP3 sound embedding - how to?  (Read 12176 times)

KWSN1673

MP3 sound embedding - how to?
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
I'm really liking this product. ;)
But I think it would be helpful to have a step-by-step "how-to" for embedding audio (MP3, etc) into a presentation.

Yes, I already tried to decipher the other related posts - I got confused!  :o

I am producing my presentations with LibreOffice's Impress product (it exports PDF very nicely).
I want to use Adobe Acrobat Reader X as my presentation engine because it does such a nice job of rendering the graphics.

I tried doing the drag-n-drop thing (drop the MP3 onto the first page, then saved the file).
No sound.  :(
I made sure that the PDF option to use WMP was selected.
Anything else?

Can someone help me out here?
-----------------------------------------
Also, it doesn't appear that the MP3 file is embedded in the output PDF.
My original PDF file size is about 384KB, and the output file (from PDFrizator) is roughly the same size.
Will I need to copy the MP3, and create the PDF onto a USB flash drive (so it preserves the relative file-references)?

RTT

• Administrator
Re: MP3 sound embedding - how to?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
I tried doing the drag-n-drop thing (drop the MP3 onto the first page, then saved the file).
No sound.  :(
I made sure that the PDF option to use WMP was selected.
Anything else?

You have to select the MP3 file using the document "Background Music" general option. Check the attached image.

Take also note that MP3s are not playing in Acrobat XI. Adobe changed something I need yet to discover and fix in a next release. Still, there is the possibility to continue to use MP3s setting the "Embed MP3s in legacy format" option under the PDFrizator preferences. This solution will trigger the "do you trust the document" question before the music starts playing, as already happens when using other formats, e.g. WMA.

In your case, Acrobat X, should work fine.

KWSN1673

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »
It works!  ;D

One possible 'enhancement', however...?

The audio currently plays in a continuous loop throughout the presentation. :(

Can you look into providing playback options (if an audio-file has been selected) to...
  • Play once
  • Play once; auto-advance to next page when done
  • Play continuously
As an alternative option, would it be possible to "tie" the audio-file to specific pages (instead of the whole document)?
Then the options might be...
  • Play once
  • Play once; stop playback on manual page-leave
  • Play once; auto-advance to next page when done
  • Play continuously
BTW, a couple of days ago, I purchased pdfMachine (the "pro" version from Broadgun).  :(
The interface is a bit odd/clumsy, and it only allows for WAV files (which are gigantic compared to MP3).
And, in order to get the audio to work, there is a crappy-looking icon that is placed on the target page (which you have to right-click & select "play" during the presentation).
The only good thing is that it plays the audio just once (per clumsy click).

This is not my first time experiencing "buyer's remorse" (and probably won't be the last).

However, if you can provide a few extra audio options (and simplifying the UI), I think you've got the makings of a very competitive product.
I looked at a number of other products - none (except you and Broadgun) had any stated support for embedding audio.
Except for Adobe (of course) - but their pricing is outrageous!

Regardless, I think PDFrizator will now be my primary PDF polisher!

Thanks for your help and efforts - GREAT PRODUCT!

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:31 PM »
It works!  ;D

I have it now also working with Acrobat XI. It will be fixed in the next release.
Meanwhile, if anyone is interested, the current version (0.6.0.29), can be easily patched. Using an hex editor, or a text editor capable of editing binary files (such as the Notepad++), open the pdfrizator.exe and search for:

<</Default 0/Max 0/Min 0>>/Height<</Default 0/Max 0/Min 0>>

And replace it by:

<</Default 1/Max 1/Min 1>>/Height<</Default 1/Max 1/Min 1>>

One possible 'enhancement', however...?

The audio currently plays in a continuous loop throughout the presentation. :(

Can you look into providing playback options (if an audio-file has been selected) to...

The current audio handling implementation is obviously basic, and only serves to easily add a background music to the presentation.
From the beginning I have some of your suggestion in my list of things to implement, so definitively it's something I will look at. Stay tuned ;)

Ivar

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
I agree for playing audio file once, or choiche to loop or play once.

KWSN1673

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »
While I'm thinking about it (again), maybe you might consider making an improved version if PDFrizator (like a "Plus" or "Pro" version) and sell it for about €14.95 - €24.95 ?  ;)

If you could add some additional audio/video options for controlling [Adobe] presentations (as referenced above in this post), at least you'd get some revenue-return for your effort(s).
...just a thought.   And at least one waiting customer (me)!

BTW - I also mentioned your product on the LibreOffice forum (with reference to PDF and embedded audio). 8)

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:56:21 AM »
Eventually I may consider to make more advanced features only available to a payable pro version, but much more functionality will remain free. The development is a bit slow, I don't have many time for it, but it's not stopped. Some nice new features already working, but still too buggy :(
Soon I will take a look to new audio features, specially to the start/stop based on events, i.e. mouse interaction with page elements events, page visibility, etc., and to link audio to specific pages and page elements, not just to the whole document.

And thanks for mentioning the tool on the LibreOffice forum! Public exposure is important ;)