Author Topic: PDF ShellTools fails in Vista 64  (Read 19230 times)

Ronk

PDF ShellTools fails in Vista 64
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »
Trying to add a property in the Vista Explorer details panel for a PDF files causes an error in the system

Ron

RTT

• Administrator
Re: PDF ShellTools fails in Vista 64
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:12:46 AM »
I suppose you tried it from the 64 Bits Shell? That default Property Handler interface is from the OS itself, not from PDF-ShellTools, so that error is not PDF-ShellTools related.

Unfortunately the PDF-ShellTools are not, yet, 64 bits compliant. Even so, you can full use its functionality if tools are invoked from the 32bits Shell.
Look at this link on how to set up a Desktop shortcut to easily run the Vista 64 32bits Shell when needed.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/211637-explorer32-shortcut-vista-64-bit.html

Let me know if indeed you used the 32bits Shell. I know it works fine that way, but the problem can be related to something else, and that we can investigate.

RjOllos

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:07:57 AM »
Unfortunately the PDF-ShellTools are not, yet, 64 bits compliant.

Hello,

Are there plans to add 64-bit support in the near future?  Also, everyone in my office is currently on XP or Vista, but we may be moving to Windows 7 next year.  Do you know if PDF ShellTools works on Windows 7?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »
Are there plans to add 64-bit support in the near future?
I'm waiting that the development language I use, Delphi, gets a 64-bit compiler. It's supposed to happen in 2010.

Also, everyone in my office is currently on XP or Vista, but we may be moving to Windows 7 next year.  Do you know if PDF ShellTools works on Windows 7?
Works fine in Windows 7, if 32-bit.

JimA

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
I'm using windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  Microsoft won't let me download the XP mode (32 bit) without upgrading to Windows professional.  Any hope for PDF-ShellTools working on Windows 7 64 bit in the near future?

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:39:07 AM »
Any hope for PDF-ShellTools working on Windows 7 64 bit in the near future?
I'm working on it. The 64-bit context menu Shell extension is almost ready.  Let's see if I'm also able to extend all the rest of PDF-ShellTools Shell extensions, to the 64-bit Shell.

Meanwhile, you can use a 32 bit Windows Explorer like tool to get access to the Windows 7 32-bit Shell, accessing this way the 32 bit PDF-ShellTools extensions.
Google for ultraexplorer, or freecommander.

Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:19:24 AM »
Any update on this?  Speaking for myself, the most desirable features to get working in x64 are the Property and Column Handlers.

A second question relates to the IFilter indexing.  Will the pdf fields be indexed?  How about the custom properties?

I've installed the 64 bit IFilter from Foxit.

PS:  If you want another developer to beta test I'm your guy...

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:01:48 AM »
Any update on this?  Speaking for myself, the most desirable features to get working in x64 are the Property and Column Handlers.
It's almost ready. The info tip handler (to show file metadata in the balloon tips), the context menu handler (files right click menu to access the pdf tools), drop handler (that provide the merge, or attach, on file(s) drop) and the property handler, are now also up and running in the 64-bit Shell.
Only left the property sheet and column handlers. But equivalent functionality of the property sheets is provided by the property handler, and the 64-bit column handler is only needed for XP and W2K3 64-bit editions (column handlers have been replaced by the property handler in Vista and newest Windows), so probably I'm not going to develop these ones, at least for now.

A second question relates to the IFilter indexing.  Will the pdf fields be indexed?  How about the custom properties?
If the IFilter you are using also access the PDF standard metadata, and custom, fields, yes. The custom fields are saved in the PDF file following the PDF file format specifications, so it's just a question of the installed IFilter access these fields, or not.

But the Windows Search service also uses the file property handlers to index all the exposed file, and enabled for indexation, properties. The PDF-ShellTools property handler provide indexation access to all the standard PDF fields, and PDF-ShellTools defined custom fields.

I've installed the 64 bit IFilter from Foxit.
Never tested, but from this IFilter features page I see it only provide access to the standard title, author, subject, and keywords fields.

PS:  If you want another developer to beta test I'm your guy...
Usually I only provide access to test, and beta, versions to licensed users. If that's your case, just drop me a line and I will be pleased to provide you access to test versions, when available.

Dennis

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
I really need this software for my windows 7 64 bit!
By the way are those meta data indexable by windows search or google desktop search?

Dennis

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
Sorry i didnt see that you answered this question already.
I hope that 64bit version will come out soon..

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
By the way are those meta data indexable by windows search or google desktop search?
By Windows search, yes. I have no idea if google desktop search also index these metadata fields (I never used such a privacy intrusive peace of software), but probably yes.

It is supposed the currently online PDF-ShellTools v1.0 build 11 is 64-it Windows compatible
http://www.rttsoftware.com/news.html
but yesterday I discovered a bug, reported by an user, that the property handler is not being properly registered in the 64-bit Shell. I will release today a patched release to fix that issue.
Meanwhile, use the attached .reg file to fix it.