Author Topic: Support for standard document properties in Vista  (Read 8131 times)

Ruedi

Support for standard document properties in Vista
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »
The way the PDF document property handler is implemented under Vista by PDF-ShellTools,
the standard Windows document properties "Author", "Title", "Category", ..., are not supported.
Instead corresponding PDF-internal properties only are supported.

If you set the standard Windows document properties "Author", "Title", "Category" under XP, you will not see them in Windows (Vista) Explorer's detail view after enabling the corresponding additional columns (context menu of the column header).

Since not even the newest Adobe Acrobat version corrects this, I googled for "Vista PDF document properties" and the only product I found to support such a thing, PDF-ShellTools, does not correct it either.
I'm really disappointed. But I hope it is easy to implement this in PDF-ShellTools, since it already implements a PDF document property handler in Vista.

Does anybody know a tool which implements a PDF document property handler for Vista letting me manage standard document properties as under XP?

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Support for standard document properties in Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
Using the System File Summary to store PDFs metadata is for sure not the way to go.  As you know, PDFs have its own specifications to store the metadata inside the file itself, and that is the correct way to do it, in Vista or any other OS.
Just think in the headache of moving the files to a not NTFS media and loose all your metada in the process.

Fine, you have your PDFs metadata set under the system file summary and now you want to get access to it from Vista.
I could easily add an option to configure the Property Handler to select the source of standard metadata fields from the system file summary, or from the PDF file metadata object, but what you really need is a tool to grab the metadata from the system file summary and put it in the correct PDF file place and start from now on to do it correctly. I'm going to think on that option to set metadata for a next version of PDF Explorer or PDF-ShellTools.