Author Topic: Ready To Purchase::BUT  (Read 11342 times)

Anonymous

Ready To Purchase::BUT
« on: February 04, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Can PDFE identify and locate duplicate PDFs?

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Ready To Purchase::BUT
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
Can PDFE identify and locate duplicate PDFs?

PDF comparing is a very complicated task because two PDFs are only identical if they produce rendered page images equal bit by bit with each other and two different files, at binary level, can produce the same rendered output.
So, to make the rendered page comparison we need pdf rendering capabilities and PDFE don't have it, for now.

Obvious this comparison is only the final task of previous processes to isolate files than can be equal and this processes can be done very easily in PDFE.
Assuming that files to be equal must:
 - have the same number of pages.
 - equal, or very approximate, file size
 - Probably, and this depend of the duplicates you are trying to find, same creation date in pdf metadata.

We can easily sort the scangrid by number of pages, select all of equal number and copy them to the workgrid. Now, sort the workgrid, by file size and make a visual comparison of the rendered output, with the help of the reader plugin, of these files with same number of pages and of same, of approximate, file size.
Other processes can be used but they depend on the type of pdf contents of theses files.

Other ideas, to accomplish this task, are welcome ;)

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
understood,,,still great product.

ciao

Zainob

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »
Hello, I've been using the pdfexplorer, and I just wanted to know if you've found a way to take care of the duplicates? It is quite time consuming to search for duplicates amongst thousands of files.

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
A vague idea of a tool to list the possible file duplicates, with two, side by side, PDF readers, to facilitate the final manual visual confirmation check, exist in the TODO list, but I've not take any action, yet, to develop it.
Have you tried the above explained technique?

ujd100

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
RTT Software,

My company likes the idea of getting a single site license of PDFExplorer since it finds PDFs fast when pointed to the central repository drive folder. 

However, we'd like to use the license in a shared manner as below.

1) Run the embedded server on a always on dedicated fixed server computer (by IT)- so that anyone can search (one at a time) via a intranet browser.
2) Maintain the database on one (max two) laptops by assigned database administrators who are R&D engineers.

Is this configuration possible with the current version?  I'd like to propose this solution to my team.

thanks,
Urban

RTT

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »
Do you mean configuration functionally possible, or legally possible by the site license terms?

If first option -  if you can set it up with the trial version, you can for sure get the same functionality with the licensed version. The licensed versions don't introduce more functionalities that the ones already available in the fully functional trial version.

If you mean legally - the site license grants the possibility to install the software in as many PCs the licensed place (identified by the postal address) has, provided they don't run simultaneously in more than the number of licensed users of purchased site license. Incompatibility with the site license model may arrive if these laptops are operated outside the licensed place installations, situation where a personal license is more appropriated.

Rick

Interface...
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:06:25 AM »
Any updates or upgrades?

How about a better, simpler interface....including some kind of duplicate search in program....

Version History page, on website....etc?

Thanks...

RTT

• Administrator
Re: Interface...
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
Any updates or upgrades?

How about a better, simpler interface....including some kind of duplicate search in program....

Version History page, on website....etc?

Thanks...
Many new things already developed, but the new release is not online yet.
Take a look in the last forum posts. There are screenshots of some of these new features.
But no, find duplicates is not included. I simple don't feel the need for such a tool. Sorting by number of pages and file size is more than enough to detect these possible duplicates. Eventually the tool will come up, but it's not on the top of the list for now.